Gum Rosin Overview
Gum rosin is an organic compound of monoterpene, turpentine and resin acid. Also known as colophony or rosin, it is a solid form of pine oleoresin from pine trees (mostly conifers). It is produced by heating fresh liquid resin in order to vaporize the volatile liquid terpene components. It is semi-transparent and varies in color from pale yellow to amber. Rosin is brittle at room temperature, but melts at higher temperatures. It is insoluble in water and soluble in organic solvents. Gum Rosin also has a faint piny odour. It consists mostly of different resin acids, especially abietic acid.
The gum rosin chemical formula is C20H30O2 and this compound can be found in Indonesia where it is derived from the distillation of Oleo Pine Resin. Different grades of gum rosin like WW, WG and X grade are available. Gum Rosin is also found in China where they are also produced from Oleo Pine Resin. The species of pine tree include P.massoniana, P.yunnanenisis P.meskussi and P.elliottii.
The Manufacturing Process
Gum Rosin is produced from the crude pine resin collected from pine trees. The resin is subjected to distillation and the distillation process is carried out in large copper stills. The volatile liquid terpene components would separate from the mixture as it vaporizes at a temperature between 100 to 160⁰C, leaving behind fluid rosin as the distillate. This fluid rosin is collected and purified by passing it through straining wadding. The condensate left behind is called turpentine oil.
Driven by the idea of providing quality raw materials and chemical products for our customers, we offer gum rosin with vast applications in several industries such as:
- Electrical Product Industry, as an insulation material in electric equipment, cables, electric loop.
- Metal Producing Industry, with the weak acidity properties it work as a polishing agent to remove the oxidation films
- Adhesive and Sealants Industry, as an ingredient to enhance the strength, plasticity, and viscosity.
- Paint and Coating Industry, has the quality to dissolve easily in solvents such as turpentine, gasoline, and alcohol.
- Paper Industry, as a sizing agent to improve the anti-abrasion.
- Soap Production Industry, as a part of the grease due to similar characters with fatty acid Synthetic rubber industry to enhance the plasticity, strength, flexibility, heat resistance.
- Food Industry gum rosin helps in the production of chewing gum after the conversion in hydrogenated.
Gum Rosin is an agricultural product that is distilled with pine trees. The color of the gum rosin was determined based on the standard Lovibond color which was classified according to its class XB, X, WW, and WG. The color difference is shown in the following image.
- HS. Code: 3806.10.00
- Chemical Formula: C20H30O2
- Cas No. 8050-90-7
- Packaging – 720 @ 25 kg Paper bag, 18 MT / 20’FCL
- Packaging – 80 @ 225 kg Galvanized Iron Drum, 18 MT / 20’FCL